National Youth Mental Health Day
- May 7th is National Youth Mental Health Day. On Tuesday, May 3rd there will be a Random Acts of Kindness Campaign and free giveaways at lunch. Wear the colour green
on Tuesday, May 3rd to support and raise awareness for mental health!
MANGA & Cartooning Club
- Students are invited to the Manga & Cartooning Club every Wednesday during lunchtime in the Art Room. Come draw, share comics and watch Anime!
- Students are invited to the GFSS Chess Club every Wednesday during lunchtime in the Art Room.
Survey Results for Winter Break 2016-17 - Click here
for the results from the recent survey regarding the Winter Break for 2016 - 2017. Schools will be consulting with parents and staff and the proposed school calendars will be presented for approval at the March 8th Board of Education meeting. Further input is welcome during the consultations at the school level as well as at the Board meeting on March 8th. Thank you for participating in the survey.
Important Recall Notice -
For your information, there has been a recall of all lots of Allerject (0.15 mg/0.15 mL and 0.3 mg/0.3 mL strengths of epinephrine auto-injectors). Complete details are included in the links below.
Sanofi recalls all lots of Allerject (0.15 mg/0.15 mL and 0.3 mg/0.3 mL strengths of epinephrine auto-injectors) Sanofi-aventis Canada Inc., in consultation with Health Canada, is recalling all lots of Allerject (0.15 mg/0.15 mL and 0.3 mg/0.3 mL strength epinephrine auto-injectors)
from the Canadian market. This recall is due to issues that may potentially affect the delivery of the required amount of the drug, epinephrine.
Click here for the link to Sanofi
regarding their voluntary recall. Click here
for advisory from Health Canada
Reminder to Parents - Student Activity Fees Due
- Click here
for the letter to parents explaining the $20.00 Student Activity Fee which is due and payable by all students annually.
Letter to Parents from the Minister of Education
- Click here
for the letter to parents regarding changes in school curriculum.
Planning 10 Link My Blueprint Education Planner
- Click here
for the link.
DREAM BIG: READ! GFSS Library eBooks
- Now available for you in GFSS eBooks. Click on the Follett eBooks icon to the left of this column;
user name: (all lower case) your first initial and last name (for example - ajones)
** password: your student number
If you have any problems accessing the site, please see Mrs. deWynter or Ms. Walker in the DLC.
School Supply List
- Click here
for the GFSS school supply list.
2015/16 School Fees
- All student fees will be collected in the Office.
Fee schedule - Student Council Activities .................$20.00
........................... Lock Fee...............................................$8.00
........................... Grad Fee (Grade 12's only) ...............$25.00
........................... Yearbook .............................................$TBA
**Certain elective courses have additional fees - see Student Handbook**
Attendance Expectations for GFSS
- If your child is away, sick or has to leave early from school (or arrive late), please call the school in the morning or give your child a written note to give to the office explaining their absence. For a full day absence, the office needs to be notified either before or on the day of the absence. Please read the policy on "excused" and "unexcused" absences at the link to the left of this page (Attendance Expectations).
Transcripts for Applying to Post Secondary Institutions -
All Grads who are planning to go to a post secondary institution need to fill out a PSI form
on the Ministry of Education website. The following are instructions for ordering transcripts to be sent to your choice of post secondary institution(s):
1. go the provincial education website www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams
2. click on Student Secure web icon , enter it
3. create an account **you must know your PEN number!!**
4. click on PSI forms and follow the directions
Filling out this online form will ensure your high school transcripts are sent to the post secondary institutions, otherwise they will not be sent out.
If You Need A Copy of your High School Graduation Transcript
- click here
. A PEN (Personal Education Number) is required for the online application
for a transcript. Your PEN is on all report cards.
Encounters Canada - Students who may be interested in attending Encounters Canada, please click the following link for more info. Each school is allowed to send two (2) applicants. If interested, please see Mr. Stewart.
HEAD LICE - Please check your child's head for lice and nits on a daily and weekly basis.
(Students should be lice-free and nit-free at school.) Interior Health's website has information on how to check for and treat head lice:
Interior Health Head Lice Information
Head Lice Information:
(We do not endorse any of the products listed).
What do lice and nits look like in the hair? - youtube video
Size Comparison and Removing Lice from Hair - youtube video
Head Lice, Louse & Nits - youtube video
Head Lice Removal Combing Techniques - youtube video
Frequently-asked questions about lice. (Dept. of Health, AU)
GFSS/BCSS The Mural Project -
View the documentary on the Ab Ed Mural project by clicking here
Grade 12 Info and Provincial Exam Scholarship Criterion
- Click here
for an update on Grad information regarding Provincial Scholarships, Passport to Education, etc..
GFSS Breakfast Program
- Our breakfast program is funded by Breakfast for Learning and is available to any student starting at approximately 7:45 am in our Multipurpose Room.
GFSS School Improvement Plan
- Parents and students are invited to submit feedback to the school as it works towards a plan for school imporovement over the next couple of years. Staff is working on setting some new directions related to building school culture, student learning and expectations around behaviour. If you have some positive ideas, please see Mr. Stewart or email your thoughts to email@example.com
GFSS IS ON FACEBOOK!
- Check out our Facebook Timeline. Click on the "Find us on Facebook" icon at the top right of this page and "Like" us on your Facebook and you'll receive notices of upcoming events and other school information.
Scholarship Resource Website
- AcademicInvest.com is a resource website which is free for all Canadian students. Its purpose is to introduce students to grant, scholarship and bursary funding, as well as employment opportunities. Check it out at www.academicinvest.com
- The BC Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils (BCCPAC) has published a parent guide to advocating for students in public schools. There is a copy of the guide in the office if any parents wish to come in and review it.
Lost & Found -
Located in the office. Clean articles are taken to the Thrift Shop after being displayed for a few days, just before the winter break, spring break and year end. There are daily announcements to remind students to look at the display tables outside the main office.
Medical Conditions/Allergies -
Please contact the school office if your son or daughter has a medical condition or life-threatening allergy that would require administration of medication at school. A Medical Alert form and a Request for Administration of Medication at School form will need to be completed.