Semester 2 Term 3 REPORT CARDS - Report cards for Semester 2, Term 3 were handed out to students on Thurs., Apr. 30th. If you did not receive this report card, please contact the office and we can scan and email a copy directly to parents.
Spring Band Concert
-The GFSS Grade 9/10 Band, CLES Band and CLES Choir are presenting a spring band concert "Some Nights of Music"
on Wednesday, June 3rd at 7 pm at the GFSS Auditorium. Admission is by donation and proceeds will go towards a community music initiative. Food bank donations will also be accepted.
Lupine Awards 2015
- Our annual Lupine Awards will be held on Thursday, June 4th starting at 11 am in the Auditorium. This is the year end recognition awards for Honour Roll (must have a 3.5 or higher GPA for each
reporting period of the current grade), as well as subject recognition, service to school recognition, citizenship recognition, sports awards, Student Council award, 3 and 5 Year Honour Roll plaques, as well as other special awards. Parents are welcome to attend.
Planning 10 Link My Blueprint Education Planner
- Click here
for the link.
-- Grad Parent Meeting, Mon. May 25th at 7 pm in the Multipurpose room. Decorating Meeting to follow.
GRAD CEREMONY SEATING REQUEST FORMS
- Are available in the office. Please have these forms filled out and returned by May 27th.
GRADS: Get your Prom Tickets now
! Tickets must be bought BY Thurs. May 28th. Tickets will not be available after May 28th. See Mrs. Argue for your ticket price (grad hours earned will reduce the cost).
DREAM BIG: READ! GFSS Library eBooks
- Now available for you in GFSS eBooks. Click on the Follett eBooks icon to the left of this column;
user name: (all lower case) your first initial and last name (for example - ajones)
** password: your student number
If you have any problems accessing the site, please see Mrs. deWynter or Ms. Walker in the DLC.
-Yearbook orders are now being accepted in the office. The discounted price until February 26, 2015 is $40.00. After Feb. 26th, the cost will be $45.00. Pre-orders help determine how many books will be printed, so don't be disappointed - order your yearbook now! Payment must be made at the time of ordering. Cheques can be payable to GFSS.
School Supply List
- Click here
for the GFSS school supply list.
Dose #2 Chickenpox Vaccine
- For the 2014-15 and 2015-16 School Years, a varicella vaccine booster will be available at the time of the grade 9 TdaP booster. This special Interior Health program will boost your child’s immunity to chicken pox, well into adulthood.
Students currently in grades 10, 11 or 12 are also eligible to have a second dose of varicella vaccine if they have only had one dose in the past. If you think your child in these grades is eligible for either 1 or 2 doses of chicken pox vaccine, please call the health unit to book a private vaccination appointment. 250-443-3150
To learn more about the Chicken pox vaccine, please read the Health File: http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/pdf/hfile44b.pdf
2014/15 School Fees
- All student fees will be collected in the Office.
Fee schedule - Student Council Activities .................$20.00
........................... Lock Fee...............................................$8.00
........................... Grad Fee (Grade 12's only) ...............$25.00
........................... Yearbook .............................................$40.00 til Feb. 26th 2015
........................................................................................... $45.00 after Feb. 26th 2015
**Certain elective courses have additional fees - see Student Handbook**
Attendance Expectations for GFSS
- If your child is away, sick or has to leave early from school (or arrive late), please call the school in the morning or give your child a written note to give to the office explaining their absence. For a full day absence, the office needs to be notified either before or on the day of the absence. Please read the policy on "excused" and "unexcused" absences at the link to the left of this page (Attendance Expectations).
Transcripts for Applying to Post Secondary Institutions -
All Grads who are planning to go to a post secondary institution need to fill out a PSI form
on the Ministry of Education website. The following are instructions for ordering transcripts to be sent to your choice of post secondary institution(s):
1. go the provincial education website www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams
2. click on Student Secure web icon , enter it
3. create an account **you must know your PEN number!!**
4. click on PSI forms and follow the directions
Filling out this online form will ensure your high school transcripts are sent to the post secondary institutions, otherwise they will not be sent out.
If You Need A Copy of your High School Graduation Transcript
- click here
. A PEN (Personal Education Number) is required for the online application
for a transcript. Your PEN is on all report cards.
Encounters Canada - Students who may be interested in attending Encounters Canada, please click the following link for more info. Each school is allowed to send two (2) applicants. If interested, please see Mr. Stewart.
HEAD LICE - Please check your child's head for lice and nits on a daily and weekly basis.
(Students should be lice-free and nit-free at school.) Interior Health's website has information on how to check for and treat head lice:
Interior Health Head Lice Information
Head Lice Information:
(We do not endorse any of the products listed).
What do lice and nits look like in the hair? - youtube video
Size Comparison and Removing Lice from Hair - youtube video
Head Lice, Louse & Nits - youtube video
Head Lice Removal Combing Techniques - youtube video
Frequently-asked questions about lice. (Dept. of Health, AU)
GFSS/BCSS The Mural Project -
View the documentary on the Ab Ed Mural project by clicking here
Parent School Satisfaction Survey-
Parents of students in Grades 10 and 12 are invited to complete an online School Satisfaction Survey with the Ministry of Education. The link to the survey is just to the left on this webpage (2014 BC School Satisfaction Survey). Parents can email firstname.lastname@example.org for their anomymous Logon code.
PROPOSED GFSS 2014-15 School Calendar - Click here
for a copy of the "Proposed" GFSS 2014-15 School Calendar. Parents are invited to contact Mr. Stewart at the school if they have any concerns about this proposed calendar.
Grade 12 Info and Provincial Exam Scholarship Criterion
- Click here
for an update on Grad information regarding Provincial Scholarships, Passport to Education, etc..
GFSS Moodle Courses for Sept. 2013
- A number of courses will be available via the online Moodle platform starting in September. Click here
for a listing of these courses. Please make an appointment with one of the counsellors to register.
GFSS Breakfast Program
- The school breakfast program is available to any student starting at approximately 7:45 am in our Multipurpose Room.
GFSS School Improvement Plan
- Parents and students are invited to submit feedback to the school as it works towards a plan for school imporovement over the next couple of years. Staff is working on setting some new directions related to building school culture, student learning and expectations around behaviour. If you have some positive ideas, please see Mr. Stewart or email your thoughts to email@example.com
GFSS IS ON FACEBOOK!
- Check out our Facebook Timeline. Click on the "Find us on Facebook" icon at the top right of this page and "Like" us on your Facebook and you'll receive notices of upcoming events and other school information.
Scholarship Resource Website
- AcademicInvest.com is a resource website which is free for all Canadian students. Its purpose is to introduce students to grant, scholarship and bursary funding, as well as employment opportunities. Check it out at www.academicinvest.com
- The BC Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils (BCCPAC) has published a parent guide to advocating for students in public schools. There is a copy of the guide in the office if any parents wish to come in and review it.
Lost & Found -
Located in the office. Clean articles are taken to the Thrift Shop after being displayed for a few days, just before the winter break, spring break and year end. There are daily announcements to remind students to look at the display tables outside the main office.
Medical Conditions/Allergies -
Please contact the school office if your son or daughter has a medical condition or life-threatening allergy that would require administration of medication at school. A Medical Alert form and a Request for Administration of Medication at School form will need to be completed.