Welcome to Walker Development Centre!
The Walker Development Centre exists to provide a trusting and secure environment in which students with extraordinary circumstances can succeed in meeting academic goals.
Walker Development Centre Staff Believes:
In a safe and caring learning environment which fosters a sense of belonging;
In meeting the individual needs of students;
In treating all staff and students with respect;
In collaboration with our community partners;
In a team approach;
That all individuals can learn.
Code of Conduct
Alternate to Suspension Program
Registration - click here for printable Student Registration Form
Students may access one of our four programs through various means:
1) Referral from a School District 51 school Principal
2) Referral from School District 51 Superintendent
3) Self-referral if you have been out of school for more than one semester or are coming into District from another alternate school setting
Junior and Senior Program
- Students currently enrolled in the school system, must have a referral from thier school Principal and School-based Team. This Referral is sent to the District Screening Committee for placement consideration.
Students who have been out of school for a minimum of one semester or out of district may complete a School District 51 Registration form and contact the Office at 250-442-5313 to schedule an in-take interview. This interview may result in some students being referred to a more appropriate school setting.
- Adults may be eligible to attend if they are 18 years of age or older, are looking to complete a 2004 Dogwood or Adult Graduation requirements and have not yet graduated from a k-12 publically funded education system.
- Adults seeking upgrading and some Senior Sciences will be referred to Selkirk College programs.
Please note that students may be required to do a skill assessment upon entry that will be used as an indicator of appropriateness of placement and course selection.
Please bring to your in-take interview:
Proof of residency
Last report card
Withdrawal from the last school attended
Documents supporting guardianship where applicable
INFORMATION & UPCOMING EVENTS
Talk to your youth about drugs - BC Ministry of Health
Questions and Answers - New Curriculum - click here
Chart of Provincial Changes - click here
Flood Update - click here
Facebook - The School District has just launched a Facebook page where we will be keeping parents up to date on District activities, initiatives, and announcements. Please "like" our Facebook page so that you will be notified when information is posted.
Find us at: www.facebook.com/sd51boundary
Medical Conditions/Allergies - Please contact the school office if your son or daughter has a medical condition or life-threatening allergy that would require administration of medication at school. A Medical Alert form and a Request for Administration of Medication at School form will need to be completed.
Coloured School Buses - The District school buses will now display specific colours for each route. The colour bars will be displayed immediately to the rear of the entrance door and under the first passenger window. The colours are as follows:
GREEN - Route 1 (Eholt, Carson, Reservoir) - Rick Kost
WHITE - Route 3 (North Fork, Brown Creek, Granby) - Pete Kootnekoff
BROWN - Route 4 (Almond Gardens) - Debbie Dierckens
BLUE - Route 2 (Almond Gardens, Gilpin, Nursery, Hardy Mountain) - Joanne Rooke
RED - Route 5 (Texas Point, Christina Lake, Grand Forks) - Darryl Hunt
PURPLE - Route 6 (Valley Heights, Christina Lake, Ponderosa) - Tamara Clark
Speaking Up! - The BC Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils (BCCPAC) has published a parent guide to advocating for students in public schools. There is a copy of the guide in the office if any parents wish to come in and review it.