Letter to Parents/Guardians: Click here for a letter to Parents or Guardians from the Provincial Health Officer regarding drug overdose and prevention of overdose.
Registration Information: If you are a BC resident please provide the following information when registering your child:
- completed registration forms along with birth certificate and care card
- proof of residency - BC driver's licence and medical services card, utility bill, lease agreement or property assessment.
Registration documents are listed at the upper left corner of this page. Please complete all documents and forward to the school office along with a copy of your child's birth certificate and care card.
Proof of Residency - click here to view
District Policy - Out of Province Students (Fee for 2017-18 school year is $12,150.00 per student)
Transcripts for Applying to Post Secondary Institutions -
All Grads who are planning to go to a post secondary institution need to fill out a PSI form
on the Ministry of Education website. The following are instructions for ordering transcripts to be sent to your choice of post secondary institution(s):
1. go the provincial education website www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams
2. click on Student Secure web icon , enter it
3. create an account **you must know your PEN number!!**
4. click on PSI forms and follow the directions
Filling out this online form will ensure your high school transcripts are sent to the post secondary institutions, otherwise they will not be sent out.
Update on BC's New Curriculum
from Minister Mike Bernier - click here
GFSS Breakfast Program
- Our breakfast program is funded by Breakfast for Learning and is available to any student starting at approximately 7:45 am in our Multipurpose Room.
Health Promoting School Newsletter
- Click here
for the monthly newsletter.
K- 9 New Curriculum Reporting
- Click here
for a letter from the BC Education Minister, Mike Bernier, regarding reporting on the new curriculum in classrooms for Grades K-9.
Reminder to Parents - Student Activity Fees Due
- Click here
for the letter to parents explaining the $20.00 Student Activity Fee which is due and payable by all students annually.
School Sports Athletic Registration
- Click here
for the link to our school athletic registration package. As well, click here
for "A Few Words About Coaches and Playing Time".
Criminal Record Checks for Volunteers
- When accessing the online site https://justice.gov.bc.ca/eCRC/
for the free volunteer Criminal Record Checks, you will be asked for a code. This code is specific to our school ONLY.
When complete, the results will be emailed to the school directly. There have been circumstances where the applicant has been asked to print the application and bring it into the school to be faxed in. This DOES NOT mean there is a problem with your application, it is just a glitch in their system.Thank you for taking the time to fill this out and thank you for volunteering at our school!
If You Need A Copy of your High School Graduation Transcript
- click here
. A PEN (Personal Education Number) is required for the online application
for a transcript. Your PEN is on all report cards.
School Supply List
- Click here
for the GFSS school supply list.
Letter to Parents from the Ministry
- Click here for a letter from the Ministry of Education
directed to Parents regarding the changes to Provincial Assessment
and also Questions and Answers about the New Curriculum
Planning 10 Link My Blueprint Education Planner
- Click here
for the link.
DREAM BIG: READ! GFSS Library eBooks
- Now available for you in GFSS eBooks. Click on the Follett eBooks icon to the left of this column;
user name: (all lower case) your first initial and last name (for example - ajones)
** password: your student number
If you have any problems accessing the site, please see Mrs. deWynter or Ms. Walker in the DLC.
2016/17 School Fees
- All student fees will be collected in the Office.
Fee schedule - Student Council Activities .................$20.00
........................... Lock Fee...............................................$8.00
........................... Grad Fee (Grade 12's only) ...............$25.00
........................... Yearbook ........................................$45.00 pre-order cost $50 after Jan. 31st
**Certain elective courses have additional fees - see Student Handbook**
Attendance Expectations for GFSS
- If your child is away, sick or has to leave early from school (or arrive late), please call the school in the morning or give your child a written note to give to the office explaining their absence. For a full day absence, the office needs to be notified either before or on the day of the absence. Please read the policy on "excused" and "unexcused" absences at the link to the left of this page (Attendance Expectations).
Encounters Canada - Students who may be interested in attending Encounters Canada, please click the following link for more info. Each school is allowed to send two (2) applicants. If interested, please see Mr. Stewart.
HEAD LICE - Please check your child's head for lice and nits on a daily and weekly basis.
(Students should be lice-free and nit-free at school.) Interior Health's website has information on how to check for and treat head lice:
Interior Health Head Lice Information
Head Lice Information:
(We do not endorse any of the products listed).
What do lice and nits look like in the hair? - youtube video
Size Comparison and Removing Lice from Hair - youtube video
Head Lice, Louse & Nits - youtube video
Head Lice Removal Combing Techniques - youtube video
Frequently-asked questions about lice. (Dept. of Health, AU)
GFSS/BCSS The Mural Project -
View the documentary on the Ab Ed Mural project by clicking here
Grade 12 Info and Provincial Exam Scholarship Criterion
- Click here
for an update on Grad information regarding Provincial Scholarships, Passport to Education, etc..
GFSS School Improvement Plan
- Parents and students are invited to submit feedback to the school as it works towards a plan for school imporovement over the next couple of years. Staff is working on setting some new directions related to building school culture, student learning and expectations around behaviour. If you have some positive ideas, please see Mr. Stewart or email your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org
GFSS IS ON FACEBOOK!
- Check out our Facebook Timeline. Click on the "Find us on Facebook" icon at the top right of this page and "Like" us on your Facebook and you'll receive notices of upcoming events and other school information.
Scholarship Resource Website
- AcademicInvest.com is a resource website which is free for all Canadian students. Its purpose is to introduce students to grant, scholarship and bursary funding, as well as employment opportunities. Check it out at www.academicinvest.com
- The BC Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils (BCCPAC) has published a parent guide to advocating for students in public schools. There is a copy of the guide in the office if any parents wish to come in and review it.
Lost & Found -
Located in the office. Clean articles are taken to the Thrift Shop after being displayed for a few days, just before the winter break, spring break and year end. There are daily announcements to remind students to look at the display tables outside the main office.
Medical Conditions/Allergies -
Please contact the school office if your son or daughter has a medical condition or life-threatening allergy that would require administration of medication at school. A Medical Alert form and a Request for Administration of Medication at School form will need to be completed.